Sunday 13 December 2015

City of Halves Book Review

Hello! It's been a long time since I've recommended any books for you guys so today I've decided to let this simple book be on the limelight.

City of Halves by Lucy Inglis



















What is the genre for this book?
I don't specifically know but for me, it's definitely a fantasy-ish kind of book. This story contains a lot of new creatures and a few recycled ones with little main characters that is really easy to remember. There's sprinkles of romance on every few pages so for all the lovey-dovey girls/boys out there, this book might be good enough for you.

What is this about?
Summing up things without spoilers:
This book is similar to The Mortal Instruments series but unlike TMI, this book doesn't follow or relate to any Urban Legends. It is something entirely fictional and new. It's about a girl trying to save the city of London from the imbalance of the ancient forces with the help of a boy. A hot tattooed boy.

BUT, anyways I don't expect you to understand the simplified version that I just wrote, just hang on and read the story.You'll get it.

How many pages?
Exactly 340 pages, from the start of the story till the end. The book cover, author's note, acknowledgements, etc are excluded. :)

How is the writing quality?
This kind of thing might be hard to express since it's very subjective to any person. In my opinion, it's quite good but it's not a 'best-selling author' type of writing. It's almost along the lines though. To be more detailed, from 1-10, I'll give it a 6. And don't misunderstand, 6 is already good since I'm comparing on a larger scale, including all the famous literature work in history. So, yup, 6 is considered awesome.

The issue..?
Honestly, this book had been getting a lot of hate from TMI's fandom and I feel really bad about it. I don't understand why people tend to judge before reading just because they pasted a sticker on the cover that wrote "A Must to Mortal Instrument's Fans". That is not comparing or in any other way saying that the book is better than TMI, it's just stating that they've similarities in genre and story, nothing more than that. I'm really sorry for the author and I hope she continues writing good fantasy books!


No comments:

Post a Comment